This site is designed as a bridge between my professional life, musings on the state of retirement and retirement planning issues, thoughts about the global economy and the capital markets and a peek into my my life outside of work.
While the site is public, available to anyone on the world wide web, it’s really designed for clients, friends, and anyone interested in my retirement planning and advisory practice, but who aren’t quite ready, just yet, to approach me directly.
Most folks who find this site already know a little bit about me. If you don’t know me, here is a brief synopsis of the road that has brought me here.
Meet Darren Vilardo Retirement Planner, Prescott AZ, Davinci Wealth
- I was born in Southern California into a military home, my father is a retired Army Major.
- When I was 8, my mother and her new husband, moved with my brother and me, to the very rural town of Ooltewah, Tennessee. We lived on a farm and raised our own vegetable and livestock. At the time I hated living out in the middle of nowhere, but now those are some of my fondest memories. Roaming over the countryside, fishing, hunting, and always being outdoors.
- In 1980 I moved back to California to live with my father.
- After graduating Covina High School in 1983 I attended junior college, but was quickly bored and began looking to start a business.
- In 1988 I got married and began working in the management training program for Big 5 Sporting Goods.
- In 1997 I was recruited by Bank of America and began my career in finance as a Vice President.
- Merrill Lynch came calling in 1999 and I joined their rigorous training program which included many visits to their campus in Princeton, New Jersey as well as Wall Street.
- After successful tenures as a financial advisor with Merrill Lynch, Smith Barney, and U.B.S., I felt something was missing from my advisory model and my life. I resigned and started my independent firm in Southern California, Inland Retirement Advisors.
- From 2012 thru 2014 I hosted a live, daily radio show heard throughout Southern California. My show focused on current economic events and their impact on investments and retirement planning.
- In the summer of 2012 my daughter Sarah graduated form the University of California Santa Barbara (UCSB) and my son began attending UCSB in the fall of that year.
- In 2013 my marriage of almost 25 years ended. This gave me a chance to really think about what I wanted from the next chapter of my life, both personally and professionally.
- In 2014, with the encouragement of my new partner, Michelle, I moved my home and my business to Prescott, Arizona. I created DaVinci Wealth, my new advisory firm. Moving closer to my father in his later years and being able to enjoy the natural beauty of the Northern Arizona mountains has been a wonderful blessing.
That’s what I call full disclosure!
This blog was started as a result of that self-reflection that occurs when life changes in dramatic and unexpected ways. It dawned on me that although I had been successful in my career, I had fallen short of some of my earliest beliefs, and one of the biggest reasons I got into the financial services business… To help more people avoid the hardships and disappointments of a retirement with was at-risk.
I’ve decided to pursue that ideology, and this blog is just one way I hope to make an impact, to give back, and be the change that I hope to see in my industry.
Thanks for taking a look, if my experiences are helpful to the readers of this blog in any way – I’ll consider my time, energy, and efforts, well spent.